Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sea Legs

After being on a cruise ship there are two things I know. Sea legs really do exsist and I've discovered a new phenomenon known as cruise brain.
We had a fabulous time on the cruise and now we've started our land tour. I wobbled around today thinking that everything in Alaska must be floating. Especially the restaurant at dinner and the top of the mountain.
I'll share a few highlights from the trip so far.
We saw a bunch of wildlife including whales, seals, orcas, eagles, black bear, brown bear and moose. We hope to see more in Denali.
Formal nights were a blast.
It is fun to have a lounge to hang out in to listen to music and dance. Dancing to We Are Family is at the on the top of my list as far as memories go, even if my nephews ran for their stateroom as soon as I got up to dance.
Those dance lessons really paid off.
Bill and I never got to the  lesson where we were supposed to practice dancing with others on the floor. It didn't matter because as soon as the good band finished their set and the trio came out everyone left the lounge. I made the mistake of making eye contact with the lead singer so we couldn't bail on them. Bless their hearts. We don't think they will be cruising with Celebrity again.
We need to find a lounge and dance more often at home.
The service was amazing. I don't know how I will cope with having to turn down my own bed. One night our steward propped our books on open on our respective pillows. So cute!
I can't remember how to put my own napkin in my lap after a  week of having it done for me. I also think shrimp coctail will have to be an appetizer at home more often. Don't even get me started on dessert every night. When someone yells "whale" they may be refering to me. The boat had a gym. I found it by accident on the last day.
Our ports felt like an ad for Gorton's fish sticks. It was foggy, cold and drizzly. Perfect weather for Texans trying to beat the heat.
Speaking of whales. I was hanging out whale watching and saw one. I opened the door to tell Bill. He was napping. (naps on a ship are legendary.) I guess I yelled loader than I thought because suddenly everyone was out on the starboard side looking. My brother even said, "Yeah, I saw it and then I heard some lady yell 'whale.'" Umm...that was me.
I have much more to share but I will leave it for now. I'm off to bed but I'm not sure if I will be able to fall asleep without the gentle rocking of the ship.


  1. Sounds like a wonderful adventure so far! Enjoy your land tour...Alaska is unlike anywhere else...Hope you see lots more wildlife -- but from a safe distance!

  2. Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip!

  3. now i'm just straight up Alaska stalking you, which is ok...right? oh man, sea legs! since our cruise was second, we went back to work the next day, and i'm telling you, for a week, I felt drunk. driving was super weird, as was talking to people.

    1. I think bouncing around on the bus attributed to "sea legs" too. Bill went back to work the next day. I don't know that I could have. I was exhausted.