Wednesday, March 18, 2015

One Small Change To The Chandelier

Hi guys.
I was working on the dining room over our break.
The weather was very un-spring like. 
Usually I work in the garden but not this year. 

The chandelier was the first thing I noticed with the new wall color. The Gothic or Spanish feel was not working with the lighter walls. I didn't want to take it down and work on it outside. We did that three years ago and it was a pain.

Creating a tent around it allowed me to paint it in place. 
I hit it with quick shots of white spray paint. It looked a little too stark so the next layer was CeCe Caldwell Chalk Paint in Simply White. It was very flat looking.

To add some "age" and depth, I dry brushed some silver metallic and some brushed nickel. 

These were in spray cans but I squirted the paint onto some painter's paper and used a dry brush. A little gray from the walls got smeared on there too. Once that was dry some sand paper revealed the oil rubbed bronze layer and the original antique brass layer. 

An Emory board is great for getting hard to reach places. Choosing spots that might get naturally worn down is impossible. 
A chandelier doesn't get handled enough to have naturally worn areas. 
I chose visually interesting areas to add dimension and depth.

Minwax Polycrylic in Clear Satin gave it a little sheen.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of gloss so low sheen is the way to go around here. 
I still wasn't in love even after it was re-blinged.
 The crystals were put back on with wire but some had to be hot glued
I really hope those don't bonk someone in the head during a dinner party again. 
That was awkward. 

It felt like the chandelier was such a pop of white. 
I decided that we had gotten our money's worth out of this piece and it would be a good time to replace it. 
It was $25.00 at the Jr. League garage sale 21 years ago.  
All of the stores including the thrift stores on this side of town yielded nothing. 
The Habitat for Humanity ReStore had one but it needed paint. 
What if I painted it white and it didn't look much different than what I already had? 
It could have been transformed to look very much like this one.


Home Depot had one but it felt a light weight and I'm not in love with the aged brass (or what ever they are calling it now). It is the Estelle by Hampton Bay. 
The finish is called champagne. Hampton Bay is Home Depot's brand name.  


Anyway, it didn't have enough areas to add crystals. 
Lamps Plus had a cute and affordable one but it was a little too petite.

I asked the sales lady if they made a brushed nickel crystal chandelier and she said no. 
I liked several but I wasn't ready to commit to an expensive chandelier long term. 

This was gorgeous but it was more than I wanted to spend.
I came home empty handed. As soon as I walked in the door and looked at ours, it hit me. The little orbs at the bottom were the main feature that bugged me. 
They were made to look like they hold lamp oil. 

Old lamps and chandeliers are basically parts joined together on metal threaded rods.

We have plenty of these parts in our lamp boneyard. 
I've been hoarding lamp parts for many years. 
I have altered the look of chandeliers before by unscrewing offensive appendages. I began taking off the odd orbs at the bottom of each arm. It was an immediate improvement. I could purchase new finials for the end of each arm but they are $4.00 each. Instead I screwed the original finial back on with new shorter rods.

I like it again. 

This was a "no new money" makeover. 
Bill's favorite kind.

I adore the reflection of it in the mirror.

I am still on the lookout for the perfect vintage chandelier. 
I want something similar to the one in Bekah's room.

I would take hers but it's too small in scale. 

This one will suffice now that the booby looking things are gone.


I wish I'd dissected this chandelier a long time ago. 



I'll be sure to keep you up to date if this riveting saga continues.  
Have a fabulous day, my darlings. 

Linking with,

A Stroll Thru Life
Savvy Southern Style
French Country Cottage
Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Funky Junk Interiors
From My Front Porch to Yours
Common Ground
Between Naps on the Porch 
Have a Daily Cup


  1. It looks nice, Katie. I was trying to figure out what you did but think I finally "got it" It's harder to tell because it is a bit further away in the after picture. Great job. I think it looks perfect now. xo Diana

    1. Thanks, Diana. I'll zoom the pictures a little bit.

  2. What a difference!! I'd quit looking, this one's a keeper now!

  3. Katie, removing those boobys did make a big difference. Aren't all those chandys gorgeous? I would love to find a vintage one but only at a great price..Happy Wednesday..Judy

  4. wonderful makeover. you're remodeled chandelier is inspiring.

  5. Katie,
    Genius. What a difference taking those larger pieces off the bottom made. Looks so great. I love it.

  6. You are so smart! I love the new look of that and how you modified it. It's perfect in there. I wouldn't have replaced it either.

  7. Great job! The chandelier looks ways much better without these orbs.

    Spring cleaners Balham

  8. Hi, Katie. I just commented but it got lost in cyberspace, so this might be a duplicate. As I was sayin'...never in a million years would I have thought to dismantle the chandelier to remove the "orbs," and I agree--it looks so much better!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my spring china cabinet! ~Zuni

  9. It really looks like a totally different fixture - much better withouth the boobie things, lol!

  10. Katie, what a difference the paint made! I love the new color and the added crystals. Yup, the bobbie things needed to go. lol! I have one of the ones I see in your photo from Home Depot in my basement bath. It works o.k. down there, but nothing like a vintage chandy! Thanks for sharing with SYC.