Monday, March 5, 2018

Paneled Accent Wall In The Dining Room



Happy, March!
Ahhh. It feels like spring is on the way.


I've been thinking about the dining room for about a year.  
I painted it two years ago but I was never in love.
This is random and it was probably not noticed by anyone but me but the wall color in the kitchen and the wall color in the dining room clashed a little bit.
You could only see that from the chairs that flank the fireplace but it still bugged me. 
It was also a little dark.
It felt especially dark during the winter.


Our dining room has been dark and moody since we moved in. I was ready for light and bright. 


White was my preference but I feel that white needs an some detail to give it depth.  
An accent wall seemed like the answer.
Shiplap was an option but we were a little late to that party. It's a lot of work for something that could be on its way out.
We thought about faux brick paneling but that comes in 8 foot sheets and our walls are 9 feet tall. I felt like no matter what the seams would show.
We also thought about bead board but the thought of cutting down all that plywood seemed daunting, Bill wasn't fazed by that but this was supposed to be something that I could do on my own.
Board and batten wainscot seemed like the answer. 
We discussed board and batten but had differing opinions on how that would work. I wanted easy. Bill thought thicker wood was the way to go but that required new base boards etc. 
I was able to talk him into the simplest option and I think he likes how it turned out.

I was able to manage all the supplies by myself.



Supplies included:
Boards that run horizontally (1-in x 3-in x 8-ft)
Poplar Battens that run vertically  (1/4-in x 2-in x 4-ft)
Joint compound
Liquid nails
Nail gun for the compressor
Paint
Painting supplies
The total for the supplies was around $130.00. We took some of the wood back so it was even less that that.


We planned where the battens should go. We used painter's tape to affix them to the wall so we could judge spacing.


Each batten had to be cut down so we didn't have to move the light switch.
Bill bundled them all together so he could make one cut.


We spaced the battens 10 inches apart and he tacked them to the wall with the nail gun.
Then he attached the horizontal boards which were a little bit misshapen. I got a lesson in how to pick out wood.
This was a fail on my part. These boards were not straight - at all!
This was all done in about an hour. It took longer to plan it out than to attach everything.
We stopped for lunch. I decided it needed another row. That went up quickly too.
 Our walls are orange peel texture so I used the joint compound to smooth over that so it looks more like real paneling.


Once that was dry, I primed and painted.
The finish color is Snowbound by Sherwin Williams.




I liked it but it still didn't feel quite done.
I'll be back with the next step in the dining room project.
Come back tomorrow for Keep In Touch.
Last week's party is still open so stop by and link up.
Katie 

Here is where I party:

7 comments :

  1. The wall looks great! I've been wanting to do something like that but can't quite get the hubby on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks terrific now -- so I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    The new look really does brighten your dining room. Way to go! Buying wood is always an adventure. I learned many years ago to check out each piece for knots, splits, and being straight, not warped. I am sure the Home Depot and Lowes employees hate to see me coming because I am so picky about every board.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you have done so far, but when I look at this room, the only colors are brown and white. Maybe you could add a bright color (pictures, flowers, rug, table cloth) to brighten up the room. What is your favorite color or another color you have used in another room in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! Looks fabulous! Thanks for linking up at BOTW!

    ReplyDelete